Monday, November 29, 2010

In Loving Memory

My dear sweet Grandpa Murphy passed away earlier this afternoon. I could never imagine a life without him in it as my Grandpa. He was the BEST Grandpa any person could ever ask for. He was funny, fun, witty, and loved us unconditionally. So tonight I want to remember some of the wonderful things about my Grandpa Murphy.
Grampa Murphy and Gramma Jo
As you can see in most of these pictures, Grampa was VERY proud of his grandkids, and his great-grandkids. He rarely left the house without a t-shirt on that had pictures of the great-grandkids on it. Anywhere he would go, people would comment on his shirts, and he would (very proudly) tell them who each one was, and brag about how cute they are.
As you can also see, Grampa didn't leave the house without his WWII veteran's hat worn proudly on his head. He was a patriot, and LOVED to tell about how he drove Bing Crosby and Bob Hope around in a jeep during the war as they would provide entertainment for the troops.
Of course you don't get Grampa Murphy without Gramma Jo. She was his EVERYTHING. Two peas in a pod. They were made for each other, and she waited on him hand and foot every minute of the day when he couldn't do things for himself. She was a lifesaver to him. They are so lucky to have each other. May you be blessed with comfort Gramma Jo...you'll see your sweet other half again in heaven. We love you Gramma.
All growing up Grampa Murphy and Gramma Jo would come get us in their van, and drive us to their house to sleepover for the weekend. It was a party time for us. We would have our own jammies in drawers under their waterbed. He had an ENTIRE candy/treat room. And I'm serious. What kid doesn't LIVE for candy, ya know? He would let us pick little bags of candy, or soda. We would each 'claim' what recliner we wanted to sleep on. Then he would help us feed Mugsy and Muffin and Penny (his yorkies) their 'Pupperonis' from on top of our ears. :o) The dogs even knew which ear was for them. What fun memories we'll always cherish of our weekends at Grampa's house.
Grandpa was FUNNY. He was a jokester. Always teasing, joking, having fun, making everyone laugh. This is him with his best friend Jack Kluge who passed a few years back.
Boy how he loved his great granddaugthers. I've never seen a great grandpa as proud as he was.
Although we may not share the same religion, I know that Grampa is in Heaven watching down on us. I know Gramma Jo will, as will the rest of us, be with him again someday. I owe so many wonderful memories, and so much of my childhood to him. I love you so much Grampa. I'm so glad we were able to come out and visit a few weeks ago and spend time together. You will ALWAYS be in our hearts.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I remember him always being very friendly, even if he remembered who I was or not! Hope all is well with your family and my prayers go out to everyone!

Rikki said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I lost both of my grandparents this year. It is really hard when you are close to them.

Unknown said...

Saysha,
This is so beautiful, I hope you can share it at your Grandpa's services....
Aunt Pauline